On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:36:44 +0800, Towhidur Razzak <towrazz...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>        I am trying to simulate light propagation through a gold
> nano-aperture. But I have not yet obtain a model of gold which can
reliably
> model gold in MEEP at optical frequencies.
>
>        It would be very helpful if any one of you can provide me with
> the *omega,
> gamma and sigma* parameters for gold. Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> *Towhid*

Hi,
just for an idea, you could have a look at this paper

 Vial A, Grimault A-S, Maci­as D, Barchiesi D, de La Chapelle M. Improved
analytical fit of gold dispersion: Application to the modeling of
extinction spectra with a finite-difference time-domain method. Physical
Review B. 71, 085416 (2005).

For my calculations I have started out from that paper and made a few
adjustments for getting a good fit between 400 nm and 900 nm: I am using
the following Drude + two Lorentz terms

Here in inverse seconds

Drude term
eps_infinity = 4.9752
omega_p = 2.1282e+15
gamma = 9.1942e+12

First Lorentz term

Delta_epsilon= 0.28
Omega_L = 8.8712e+14
Gamma_L = 3.1691e+14

Second Lorentz term

Delta_epsilon =  0.15158
Omega_L = 6.865e+14
Gamma_L = 1.7822e+14

With the following expressions for the Drude and Lorentz terms (in Matlab
notation)

epsilon_Drude = eps_infinity - omega_p^2./(f.*(f+1i*gamma));
epsilon_Lorentz =
-Delta_epsilon*Omega_L^2./((f.^2-Omega_L^2)+1i*Gamma_L*f);

(note that I use frequency, not angular frequency, but then I call the
frequency constants "omega" just like in the Meep tutorial)

Here is how they look scaled for a Meep length unit of 20 nm

(define gold  (make dielectric
(epsilon 4.98)
(E-polarizations
(make polarizability (omega 1e-10) (gamma 6.13e-4) (sigma (* .142 .142
1e20)))
(make polarizability (omega 0.0592) (gamma 0.0211) (sigma 1.76))
(make polarizability (omega 0.0458) (gamma 0.0119) (sigma 0.952))
)
))

Obviously with more Lorentz terms one can get an even better fit, but the
calculations become longer. Please let me know if there are mistakes :-)

Cheers,

Giovanni

Giovanni Piredda
Postdoc - AK Hartschuh