You can use the imagemagick convert command (which you probably use to convert your pngs to gif) with the -crop option.
Steffen

On 3/16/2011 6:00 PM, Stefan wrote:
Dear Meep users,
I use a quite big calculation space for my simulation to get a good
result without any disturbances. After the calculations I am using
h5topng and convert the png files to a gif. Now I would like to have a
gif animation of only a small part of the calculation space, how can I
tell h5topng to use only a part of the slice for the png? I am having a
2d simulation.

I tried
h5topng -t 0:199 -x 100:250 -m -2 -M 2 -Zc dkbluered ex.h5
to get just a part of the x direction, but that gives me really many
pngs, one for each combination of t and x. Is there a way to realise
what I want to do? Maybe with another software?
Thanks a lot!
Stefan

Dr. Steffen Michaelis
Laboratoire de Photonique et de Nanostructures