Dear MEEP users,
              I am trying to model  the Multilayered nanoshell, which contains
a metal core, a dielectric silica and the outer metal shell. At 1st, i divide
this complex structure into several parts and calculate its extinction
efficiency. I know from the litrature that if you enclose a silica sphere
inside a metal shell (single layer nanoshell) then the extinction peaks would
be red shifted. But when i tried to enclose a metal inside a silica shell then
i also obtained a red shifted peak. Can somebody tell me the role of the silica
in this structure. I mean why the extinction peak is always red shifted. I have
attached a figure with the email, which shows the extinction efficiency of a
single silver sphere and a gold sphere and then enclosing them in a dielectric
silica due to which the extinction peaks red shifted. However, incase of
enclosing the silica inside a metal, we get a larger red shift. But my question
is, why incase of enclosing a metal inside a silica we get a red shift?

Thanks.

BR,
Jack