Does anyone have a solution to this, to make a fully monochromatic light
source, it seems like a fairly typical use case for an electromagnetic FDTD
library.

I have found that a mono-source can be made if you run the simulation for a
long time, like 1500 periods, but there must be a more efficient way to do
this. I will post my solution as soon as I find one.