Dear Ardavan,

thank you for your answer. It seems mode decomposition is the way to
go. It seems like I could also obtain a dense angular spectrum, which
I could use with Fourier propagation, right?
When it comes to Raytracing I actually had the sequential mode in mind.

In the tutorial for the near2far feature it says:

In general, it is tricky to interpret the overall scale and phase of the far fields, because it is related to the scaling of the Fourier transforms of the near fields. It is simplest to >use the near2far feature in situations where the overall scaling is irrelevant, e.g. when you are computing a ratio of fields in two simulations, or a fraction of the far field in >some region, etcetera.

 So I am not sure, how this will affect statements I want to make about
 the image of a point source of an imaging system.

 Best
 Max