I am able to tailor Meep sources by using a src_func, and have no problem writing that function either as a plain standalone, or as a class method. The latter is often handy if only to avoid a proliferation of global variables etc. Equally, I can create custom materials by providing a material_function - provided I write this as a standalone. If I try to implement a material_function as a class method, I see an error thrown by the line defining the GeometricObject, which ends in:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/meep/geom.py", line 391, in __init__
    super(Block, self).__init__(**kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/meep/geom.py", line 306, in __init__
    material.eps = False
AttributeError: 'method' object has no attribute 'eps'

Is it possible to use a class method as a materials_function? Do I need a different idiom?

Many thanks for any advice,

Ian