Hi,

I am looking at the mode decomposition example for the binary grating (https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Python_Tutorials/Mode_Decomposition/#diffraction-spectrum-of-a-binary-grating). I have a basic question regarding the nature of this decomposition, which is called via sim.get_eigenmode_coefficients:

Does this decomposition take the whole structure into account or is it a decomposition of only the monitor field? Formulated differently: Is the geometry argument (or the dielectric function) of the sim object relevant for the mode decomposition?

Thanks,
Thomas