For reference, the following response is from Homer Reid:

"With regard to the specific problem you are having, it seems the LaTeX installation on your system is incomplete or incorrectly configured. The LaTeX formatting engine is trying and failing to find a program named 'mktexlsr.pl <http://mktexlsr.pl>', which should be present as part of a standard LaTeX installation. For example, on my system (Linux Mint 19.1, similar to Ubuntu) this file is provided by the 'texlive-base' package and is installed at '/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/mktexlsr.pl <http://mktexlsr.pl>'. One possibility is that you are simply missing this file on your machine, and thus that your LaTeX installation is not functional. Another possibility is that the environment variables that configure things like library search paths are getting confused by your conda installation---LaTeX packages are typically installed system-wide, but conda often overrides such settings to refer instead to environment-specific local installations."