Hello all,
I'm still trying to understand how to use Meep, and I've hit a point of
confusion. According to the FAQ:
>Are complex fields physical?

>No. Unlike quantum mechanics, complex fields in classical electromagnetics
are not physical. In a linear system, one can always take the real part at
the end of the computation to obtain a physical result. When there are
nonlinearities, the physical interpretation is much more non-obvious.

Why is this the case? I would expect that the complex field would
correspond to a phase-shifted field. For example, if I were to excite a
birefringent structure with a linearly polarized plane wave, wouldn't I
expect an output field with complex components due to the retardation of
the phase?

Thank you in advance.