Dear Meep Community,

for a scientific project in quantum chemistry, I am planning to simulate
the step response of a system which contains one or more metallic
objects. I would prefer to do it similar to the following approach:

1.) Start the simulation with a homogeneous external electric dipole
field which is constant in time, and wait until the stationary state is
reached (i.e., polarization in the metallic objects).

2.) Sharply switch the external field off, and monitor how the electric
field starts to fluctuate and oscillate for a certain period of time.

I would prefer to do this in time domain, because I am interested in the
near field response very close to the surface of the metallic objects.

Is something like this possible with Meep? Could you please give me some
hints how to achieve this? I did not find an option to add a homogeneous
external dipole field over the whole cell.

Thanks and with best regards,
Martin