Sorry, this fell off my radar.

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 20:41, ISHIKAWA,chiaki <ishik...@yk.rim.or.jp> wrote:

> The startup of meld is very slow under windows.

<snip>

> Does anyone have an idea? Are there dlls under windows that do not get
> cached for some reason?

We have several open issues about slow startup under Windows. A very quick
search found:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/meld/-/issues/334
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/meld/-/issues/349

The startup time appears to be a mix of issues in Meld and GTK+ on Windows,
but are probably *mostly* about missing caching in the binary Meld
distribution. Unfortunately, we don't have a good idea or profiling here,
and in general don't have enough Windows expertise.

But someone annoyed by the slow startup can try this.
> 1. Start a meld instance without specifying any file/dir parameters.
> Wait patiently for 10-20 seconds YMMV.
> 2. Without doing anything, minimize this first instance of MELD.
> (Iconify, that is).
>
> 3. Now try starting MELD using the startup ICON.
>     Somehow under my windows10 setup, this seems to invoke another meld
> instance afresh.
>     This second meld instance starts in a second or two(!) Very quick.
>     (If your windows MELD setup tries to use the first instance of meld,
> this workaround is not possible.)

This works because Meld supports single-instance behaviour, so when you
start the "second" instance of Meld, you're actually effectively opening a
second window in the primary instance (with some additional special
handling).

cheers,
Kai