Use threaded mode... don't use more threads than you have CPU's.

... otherwise it should *work* fine. There're benefits to splitting the instances up if you were logically splitting the types of items stored into different sub-pools (optimized by size, data access, etc). If you'd be addressing it as one large pool anyway, use larger instances in order to make multiget more efficient.

-Dormando