On Nov 6, 11:51 am, "Aaron Stone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been lately about message queues, and noticing there are a
> projects out there that speak memcache protocol for queues. Most of
> them work by polling, though, and that sucks, and most seems to
> overload the meaning of GET, all in different ways.

  Yes, I wrote about this a while back.

> I'm imagining a generic set of protocol elements that define the
> messaging in the memcache binary protocol that allow the various
> memcache queue projects to speak the same language with the same (or
> reasonable similar) semantics. I'd also like to define commands that
> block on the server, so the client can say something like, "Send me
> the next item in one of the following queues whenever you're ready,
> meanwhile I'll be sleeping, thanks".

  The beanstalk protocol has most of the properties I care about:

  * Confirmation of job receipt (i.e. jobs aren't automatically
deleted just because you grabbed one).
  * Jobs are automatically enqueued if connection drops or the worker
takes longer than we expect.
  * Protocol suspends when no job is ready (blocking for most clients,
though my twisted client is...different)
  * Job priorities
  * Delayed jobs