On 12/14/08 3:40 AM, "Anatoly Vorobey" <avoro...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tony,

 1.  As you mentioned, we don't see any benefit to runtime selection of the
storage engine; thus the indirect call is unnecessary in our environment.

I'm curious about this choice. Have you tried to benchmark the benefit of using
a compile-time choice of a storage engine vs. indirect calls at runtime? Do you
happen to have any statistics on hand regarding whether that change
consistently influences latency/throughput?

We haven't done any benchmarks.  However, as I understand Toru and Trond's
design, I suspect it would not be particularly expensive.  Because the key is
at a fixed location no matter the storage engine, the assoc_find call would not
need to call into the storage engine.

Thanks,
Tony