On 12/20/08 4:42 AM, "Toru Maesaka" <tmaes...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi!

I've quickly glanced through the repo and even though I think the idea
of the flat allocator is neat and how it uses mmap (/me loves mmap), I
think the flat allocator itself should belong outside the codebase.
So, what I'm trying to say is, shouldn't this be a separate storage
engine?

Trond and I are currently experimenting on reshaping the codebase by
changing the item structure to be a minimal and generic 32/64bit
aligned structure, which the storage engine will handle. If you're
interested I can write more about this.

So what I'd like to know is, what exactly is it that you guys are
concerned about dynamic linking at startup? If the performance loss
(if we could even call it that) is going to become a huge issue for
the memcached userbase, we could discuss/plan static linking too.

Personally, I think working on things like improving memcached's space
efficiency (more bang for buck) seem more important than the dynamic
linking issue.

Cheers,
Toru

Opinions?
ASFAIK,

It could be a separate storage engine, but not as spec'ed.  The external
storage engine specification does not allow for scatter-gather storage of the
key and data.

Thanks,
Tony