Hey folks,

Yes, please use persistent connections. Be wary of potential bugs causing
connections to stack up (creating too many objects, creating a new
persistent connection per pageview, etc). The PHP clients make this
relatively difficult to do but it's still possible.

Also, for note, any recent benchmark I've done has shown identical
performance for sockets against 127.0.0.1 compared to UNIX domain sockets.
The enefit of unix domain sockets is more to avoid ... I dunno. Allow a
daemon to be restricted by a particular user via file ownership
permissions.

have fun,
-Dormando