Hi David

One way to solve this is to make the external version ID part of the key.
This way, all writes will be ok, but when you read the item you have to know
the version ID so you can read the latest version always, assuming this
information is available to all readers.

Another way is to do it in two layers so that you store the external version
ID in memcache as well so that for the key "key" you store the version id,
and for the key "key" + versionid, you store the actual item. This way  all
readers will have the version id just by knowing the key. The drawback
though is that you have to update the version id in memcache as well
whenever it changes externally. You also require more trips to the cache
server, but that's probably negligible compared to the usual speedup that
you gain from using memcached in the first place.

But external CAS ids are not possible as far as I know, which would be the
best solution.

/Henrik