Oh, one more thing:  please don't run memcached (or anything else
where it isn't absolutely necessary) as root.  This is very
dangerous.  That's why memcached refuses to do it unless you want
forcefully tell it that it's wrong and that you know what you're doing
and to hell with security issues.

  We do, of course work hard to write clean, secure code, but bugs are
possible, and security is best served in layers -- each of which doing
the most it can to reduce attack vectors.

  I won't go as far as to say it's *always* wrong to run memcached as
root, but feel free to take that out of context and pretend like I
did.