You could put something like varnish inbetween that final step and your
client..

so key is pulled in, file is looked up, then file is fetched *through*
varnish. Of course I don't know offhand how much work it would be to make
your app deal with that fetch-through scenario.

Since these files are large memcached probably isn't the best bet for
this.