Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 106 by mar...@hyves.nl: binary protocol parsing can cause memcached server lockup
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/issues/detail?id=106

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. run a memcached server on localhost port 10000
2. compile and run the attached c code
3. change the len from 37 to 38 on line 69, recompile and run the code again.

use top and watch the cpu stats for step 2 and 3. Even after stopping the
programs from step 3 the memcached server is using 100% cpu. For step 2 and
3 I expect for the load to drop to 0 after stopping the program.

memcached v1.4.3 on linux 2.6 compiled libevent using epoll.

The attached code currently be only compiled under linux 2.6 with epoll
support.

Please note that by changing the length of 37 to 38 bytes I broke the
memcached binary spec intentionally. My point is that memcached should have
better protocol handling to protect itself against faulty packets.

Attachments:
        test.c  1.9 KB