Which version of memcached are you using? I seem to remember that those
error messages are typical of older memcached versions on windows. I'm
running 1.2.5 and I have never encountered that error.

Oh look, here's me getting that problem and solving it, perhaps that helps:
http://groups.google.com/group/memcached/browse_thread/thread/9a90d63f5f164fcf/7f10b2d6e65a5656?pli=1

I'm still running 1.2.5 though and I don't have the problem, you can grab a
binary here: http://code.google.com/p/beitmemcached/

I was gonna recommend 1.2.6 that you can get here:
http://code.jellycan.com/memcached/, but I just tested it and remembered why
I wasn't running it, it has a dependency to MSVCR71.DLL for some weird
reason, 1.2.5 doesn't have that.

You also have this guy who started seeing the problem after installing some
firewall:
http://groups.google.com/group/memcached/browse_thread/thread/8ffab363145ed61e

/Henrik