the memcached sever is hosted on a 64 bit Ubuntu8.0.4 distribution on
Amazon EC2, it was installed from source

max_connection was the default 1024. I suspect that the connection
might went over 1024 (at peak time the server deals with about 500
hits / sec), so now I set it to 5000 and it has been working well so
far. But I'm expecting 'too many connections' error instead of
event_queue error, could it be libevent's problem?