Interestingly, I also recently noticed that we are using around 75% of
the allocated space on each of our buckets even though they have been
up for 7.5 months. For us that's still more than enough space so I'm
not worried about it.

If it helps at all we're using an older version of memcached, 1.4.1,
each bucket is 1GB and has about 740MB of that used. A lot of stuff we
set gets deleted or expired, but there are plenty of things that get
set with no expiration. You'd expect the buckets to fill up
eventually...

Here are stats from one of the buckets:

STAT pid 3746
STAT uptime 19995681
STAT time 1271735741
STAT version 1.4.1
STAT pointer_size 64
STAT rusage_user 20656.508733
STAT rusage_system 33432.810440
STAT curr_connections 849
STAT total_connections 40910273
STAT connection_structures 4494
STAT cmd_get 1134194114
STAT cmd_set 415640237
STAT cmd_flush 0
STAT get_hits 428039413
STAT get_misses 706154701
STAT delete_misses 530392232
STAT delete_hits 136872073
STAT incr_misses 23286903
STAT incr_hits 101619485
STAT decr_misses 502
STAT decr_hits 4139
STAT cas_misses 0
STAT cas_hits 0
STAT cas_badval 0
STAT bytes_read 539287620767
STAT bytes_written 581614893372
STAT limit_maxbytes 1073741824
STAT accepting_conns 1
STAT listen_disabled_num 0
STAT threads 5
STAT conn_yields 0
STAT bytes 774883798
STAT curr_items 1132112
STAT total_items 350437440
STAT evictions 52738486

(note: our hit rate isn't so good but it's a bit misleading; the way
we use memcache, sometimes a miss tells us all we need to know and
doesn't result in a set)