> Actually sorry I should've been more descriptive. I plan on using a java
> client to get the stats from memcached so that we can eventually pipe the
> stats to our monitoring software. What would be the best java client?
> Spymemcached?

Probably,  yes.

> Also, is there any consideration in the future to provide stats via JMX?

Unless you're getting it from a client, no.

Again, please take a look at those protocol documents. Parsing the stats
is incredibly trivial and you probably don't have to pull in a whole
client library as a dependency just for that. Also, again, it the document
describes the stats in detail.