Thanks for the quick replies.  I have two follow-up questions:

- Has anyone had experience using gearman with java bindings?  The
only binding I've found is gearman-java and it does not look very
active.

- I'd like to keep our system as simple as possible and avoid
additional components if possible.  Has anyone had success using
memcache itself for implementing work queues (a la memcachequeue)?