Normal, default operation of a memcached client is to failover to the next server when a connection fails. So it is possible to have one key exist on more than one server. However, most clients have an option to turn this feature off. In those cases, a failed connection would lead to the source data being regenerated.

Brian.
--------
http://brian.moonspot.net/