On 2011-01-05, at 8:24 PM, Jason S-M wrote:

> no, I am storing my videos on the file system and in the db are just entries
> pointing to the path on the file system.
>
> Yikes, I could not imagine a db with the video's stored in it, yuck.
>
> so memcached is not the answer here?

Memcache is for small objects, 1MB max, all in memory (hence the Mem). If you
need more than that, you're probably abusing it.

You probably want to start figuring out exactly what kind of performance
problems you're anticipating.

Since you're just starting out, it would probably wise to do some performance
testing yourself and figure out where your bottlenecks will be. If you're
simply trying to get the absolute most out of serving large binaries over HTTP,
Varnish or Nginx are great webservers for this type of traffic.

Hope this helps,
Evert