Hi,

I would like to use memcached on my VPS, which uses OpenVZ.  The only
problem is that OpenVZ (at least the installation that my hosts have)
doesn't differentiate between virtual memory and resident memory, so
all virtual memory is included in my allocation.

When I start up memcached, it is uses just under 1MB of resident, but
around 50MB of virtual memory.  This is unaffected by the value for
the max memory usage (i.e. the -m tag).  Obviously on most systems
using up virtual memory wouldn't be a problem, but on OpenVZ this
means that 50MB of memory is being 'used'.

Can anyone tell me what the cause of this virtual memory use is, and
if it is possible to reduce or eliminate it.

In case it's relevant, I'm using v 1.4.5 of memcached and 2.0.10-
stable of libevent.

Thanks,

Dave.