A few more questions we have:
1) How does memcached deal with a change in IP of a server?  Does that
invalidate the whole cache in the same way as if I added or removed a
server?

2) We are also concerned about the number of open apache connections on a
machine at a given time.  Currently we have about 25 regularly (planning on
significant growth).  When we once had too many error logs being written the
number jumped to over 100 per machine and caused the servers to freeze up.
 We don't want this implementation to cause a huge increase in number of
open connections because of key lookups and cause problems that way.

Please give as many details as possible in response to this to help us
choose the right solution.

Thanks for all the help.