humm i will tell my experience....
there´s two ideas
one replication (like raid1)
other load balance (like raid0 stripe)

client side can load balance like 'raid0' (i don´t know if libmemcache
have this, in php i use it, and works well)
repcache works like 'raid1' (for cluster and HA i´m using it without
problems, and it´s very good!)
memcachedb have non volatile tools (use harddisk/ssd 'cache' with a berkley db)
there´s another memcache port but i don´t remember now, with more
features (web administration and others tools)

maybe in future we could put all in one package? i don´t know...

--
Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial