> guys, the creators of this much loved tool -- viz-a-viz memcache -- designed
> it with one goal in mind: CACHING!!
>
> using sessions with memcache would only make sense from a CACHING standpoint,
> i.e. cache the session values in your memcache server and if the
> caching fails for some reason or another, hit your permanent storage system:
> RDBMS or No-SQL... obvioulsy, your caching server specs (and supporting
> environment like interconnect fabrics, Mbps download capacity, server
> durability, etc..) should reflect your user load + dat importance for
> efficiency, among other factors.. i generally use Memcache  (+ PHP) out of
> the box with this in mind and never found any earth-moving issues... For
> sessions particularly, i never found any issues.
>
> I think it's vitally important to keep in mind what Memcache is for ... a
> CACHING TOOL.. and not a permanent storage system (also it's a Friday
> evening here in England so please excuse the language.. and any typos ;) )
>
> Moses.

As I pointed out in that blog post, it's also handy for achieving write
amplifications of less than 1.0 for more lossy data.

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. it's more about matching the tool
vs your actual needs. most of the problem here has always been separating
perceieved requirements from actual requirements.