"Yes, Drupal does have a memcache module, but from my own
investigation it doesn't speed up, if at all."

>From the FAQ:
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/wiki/NewProgrammingFAQ#Can_using_memcached_make_my_application_slower?

I'm not sure how broad your investigation was, but if you're just
running Drupal on one machine, benchmarking a few hundred requests per
second, it's not likely to be much faster, no. A not-that-stressed
MySQL instance will have no problem handling basic CMS queries.
memcached was really designed to reduce unnecessary load on the
database servers, and if you're not seeing slowdown either due to
load, or do to complex joins/triggers/etc., you're not going to see
again--turning on APC for Drupal would have a better yield for one
machine. Apologies if that's not the case, but it comes up
not-infrequently.

- Marc