> HI
> Can i define memcached instance of 32 GB /64 GB or 96 GB. Typical rac
> server has 16 core 96 GB. can i utilize this 96 GB with memcached
> cache. I have large objects to cache. value of a key is 1 MB -3MB.
> This object is xml data having binary data in it.
>
> Reason for  doing this is that this data is accessed multiple times
> during processing. This data is discarded from cache once processing
> is over for this data.
>
> Is this right usage of memcached and will memcached scale to meet this
> requirement?
>
> Application that access cache is java based. So which is the right
> protocol for java client to communicated with memcached server.

You can use the -I option to increase the max object size (it defaults to
1mb), but that will reduce the overall memory efficiency. So you still
shouldn't set it too high.

If your server has 96G of ram, you still need to leave some left over for
the OS, memcached's hash table, connection management, buffers, and TCP
sockets. So I'd put that closer to 92G or 90G for memcached.

It shouldn't be hard to prototype and see if it'd help? It's not clear if
you have multiple servers accessed this shared data, or if it's just one
process accessing the same information multiple times, etc.

-Dormando