I looked pretty hard at the shim idea back in May,  but the engine protocol is
really a different protocol.  There was not a 1:1 correspondence with the
standard memcached operations.   If we define a standard sFlow-MEMCACHE
measurement then it should be something that any memcache daemon can export,
so it's really tied to the external spec,  and shouldn't reflect anything about
the internal structure of the implementation.

Instead I went back and tried to minimize the number of source code lines that
would have to be added to memcached.c and thread.c.   It's just a handful now.
Pretty minimal.

Neil