On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:17 AM, 然 安 <nuanran...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> Hi, Trond. I have read the man page for  the function memcached_pool_pop(),
> but I still don't know what's the meaning of the parameter bool block.

If you create a pool with 5 instances and your code tries to pop 6 instances
out of the pool. if you set the block parameter to true, the 6th call to pop
will block until someone push an instance back into the pool.

> I think the libmemcached uses the pool to store the memcached_st, and
> memcached_st keeps a connection with each server in the configuration
> string.But, can multiple memcached_st be stored in the same pool? Can a
> memcached_st be poped multiple times? Does it mean a pool can only keep a
> long cnnection with each server in the configuration string.

The pool is used to store memcached_st instances, and you can push and pop
the instances as many times as you like. The idea of the pool is that
instead of doing:

my_little_function_who_needs_memcached() {
   create memcached_st
   call a libemcached function
   destroy memcached_st
}

you would do something like:

my_little_function_who_needs_memcached(pool) {
   grab instance from the pool
   call a libemcached function
   push it back to the pool
}