Shouldn't we make a single application server (and clone of it using a
common config server for load balancing)? As done with sharded/distributed
databases.

Just one application server. I guess it can be easily done with the present
model but for new people/ movers from conventional model, would be more
convenient.

Also, if using many clients it would be wise to have a single entry point to
the backend cache.

Changing the server list on all clients could be a pain.

--
Regards,
Neeraj Agarwal