Hi Brain,
    You might have suggested this  page
http://docs.libmemcached.org/memcached_quit.html .
     But If I understand correct  the question is different , I  don't want
to disconnect client form the server . Client will keep on running and don't
want to disturb the process but in the middle of the  process , if the
server gets restarted client is not able to make a new connection after the
server resumption .
I also have a same kind of requirement and searched in google but didn't get
any thing  concrete , so I am going through the code to make changes since a
week now .

-Amaravathi