> I have generally heard that php-memcached is better though?

Basically if you need/want to be able to do anything on the list that says
YES only in the Memcached column, then yes, it's better. I suppose it
depends on your definition of better. It may be better to have older code
that a lot more people have bug-fixed and battle tested.

> When I cal set, it appears to be doing the operation twice.
> This is when I use the following PHP:
> $m = new Memcache();
> $m->addServer('127.0.0.1', 32000);
> $m->set("key", "value");

I thought that addServer was only if you've got >1 server and want to use a
connection pool.

Did you try it using $m->connect('127.0.0.1', 32000) ?

Try the sample code on the basic example:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/memcache.examples-overview.php