Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 296 by peter.a....@gmail.com: Should SET operation returned STORED when unix time expiration has already past
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/issues/detail?id=296

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. set a key with a unix time expiration in the past
2. see that the response is STORED
3. get that key verifies it is no longer there

I would expect the output of the SET operation is NOT_STORED, seeing STORED instead.

memcached 1.4.4-3.el6, from RHS 2.0 (Red Hat Storage, RHEL 6.2 derivative)

The client is OpenStack Swift's swift.common.memcached, which uses unix time for all operations. The default timeout for one of the Swift keys is 60 seconds, and when my client server fell behind the memcached server by more than 60 seconds, the SET operation returned STORED but it immediately timed out.

Would it be useful to have memcached return NOT_STORED when the time has already expired? Or perhaps some other ERROR?