Comment #4 on issue 301 by mirkp...@gmail.com: link fails for GCC atomic functions
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/issues/detail?id=301

I'm happy to continue using the workaround of setting -march=i686, I just wanted to log this in case it was a bigger problem. I poked around the configure code before logging this ticket but didn't work on it long enough to figure out why the test was passing.

Although maybe it would be nice to have mention of this in the README or somewhere in regards to building memcached? I had to hunt around google for a while to figure out how to get the build to work, and if it is safe to use -march=i686 on 64bit x86 with 32bit Linux to get the atomics, then maybe a "If you get this error on 64bit x86, try -march=i686" note?