Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 336 by drog...@sugarinc.com: Allow listening on both TCP/UDP port and Unix sockets
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/issues/detail?id=336

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Start memcached with -s <socket> and -p <port>
2. Try to connect to port 11211
3. Be surprised when you can't.

I'd expect to still be able to connect with TCP even when using Unix sockets. (Yes, it is documented that it doesn't work this way, but I was still surprised.)

1.4.13 on Amazon Linux

It would be really nice to be able to combine the efficiency of Unix sockets (for local connections) with the flexibility of TCP connections (for remote connections). However, enabling Unix sockets currently disables network support.

Would it be difficult to allow both if both -s and -p are provided?

Benchmark speed comparison for local connections:

TCP to 127.0.0.1 port 11211:

[RUN #1, 16 secs] 0 threads: 2000000 ops, 125000 ops/sec, 5.07MB/sec, 1.64msec latency

Unix socket:

[RUN #1, 14 secs] 0 threads: 2000000 ops, 142857 ops/sec, 5.79MB/sec, 1.40msec latency

Thanks!

Dan.