Hello,

I am currently playing around with memcached and have noted a rather
worrying behaviour around using CAS when stored record starts to exceed
circa 1400 bytes: while performing the CAS operations from a single
threaded java client (netspy 2.9.1) anything that exceeds size threshold
suddenly raises the response time from circa 2-3 to circa 300-400ms (with
no linear increase in between, in fact it appears that I get an extra 300ms
for every 1400 bytes afterwards).
I have noted couple of references on the web referring to possible UDP
related limit, but I would never expect such a drastic increase even if
protocol is doing full round trips.

Version: 1.4.15 (built from scratch on Centos 5 running in VM)
Command line# memcached -vv -u nobody -m 256 -U 0 -p 11211 -l 192.168.x.xxx
Client: netspy java lib, 2.9.1 (single threaded test harness)

Is this something that is inherent in the current implementation (has
anybody else noticed similar behaviour) or should I proceed with firing up
wireshark and start investigating at the wire / env issues? Possibly some
build flags I should be aware of?

CAS itself is perfect for the use case (managing the occasional
addition/removal from a master list that further points to a large number
of client groups specific records - treating the core list as low
contention lock with perhaps < 5 write operations per second expected while
the rest of the system would be handling 10+k reads/writes distributed
across the whole estate),

Regards,
Karlis