I'm stumped. (also, your e-mails aren't updating the ticket...).

It's impossible for a connection to get into the closed state without
having event_del() and close() called on the socket. A socket slot isn't
event_add()'ed again until after the state is reset to 'init_state'.

There was no code path for event_del to actually fail so far as I could
see.

I've e-mailed steven grimm for ideas but either that's not his e-mail
anymore or he's not going to respond.

I really don't know. I guess the old code would've just called conn_close
again by accident... I don't see how the logic changed in any significant
way in .18. Though again, if it happened with any frequency people's
curr_conns stat would go negative.

So... either that always happened and we never noticed, or your particular
OS is corrupt. There're probably 10,000+ installs of .18+ now and only one
complaint, so I'm a little hesitant to spend a ton of time on this until
we get more reports.

You should downgrade to .17.