We store some items with a 60 minute expires, yet are seeing a few log
entires in our app that indicate that they are missing from Memcached much
sooner (like 10 to 15 minutes).

We are also running a quite old version of Memcached: 1.4.4.

Are there any stats that would tell me if items are being evicted before
their expires time?

What else should I look at to understand why they might be removed from the
cache?

Do evictions only happen when a new page cannot be created?   That is
limit_maxbytes - bytes is not enough for a new page for the given slab
size?    Is expires time considered with LRU?

Thanks,

At the high level I'm seeing this:

About 100 evictions/second,  1K sets/sec and 200K reads/sec.

STAT limit_maxbytes 8,589,934,592
STAT bytes 7,438,136,137
STAT curr_items 51,229,586
STAT total_items 878,415,745