As Dormando said, it doesn't matter which database you use.
Memcached will be used by your application to cache data.
(The only way "integrating memcached with MarkLogic Database" would make
sense in my opinion would be if you are developing the MarkLogic database
and want to use memcached in it.)

The ideal use case is when you receive queries that read from database and
do a lot of processing before answering.
Then before (or after) answering, you write the result to memcached. When
the same query arrives again, you save both the read from the database and
the processing.
If something invalidate your computation (e.g: the data is changed in
database), you may want to remove the data from your cache. Another way to
use it is to rely on the TTL to clean the data and to potentially serve an
outdated result for a while.

There are other options, depending on your constraints.
You can cache only the database access to reduce the load on it. You can
also cache an external service, or some part of your computation.
Some people build some queuing mechanism or some message passing over it.

What you need to do first is understand what memcached provides (key value
store, properties of get, set, add), what it doesn't provide (scanning
keys, ACID, persistency, replication) and then see how (if) you can benefit
from it.