Hi,

memcached_clone is probably always necessary if you've created the
structures in one process and then use them in another. It's definitely
required if you're using the instance in both processes. However, even
with a single process you still have complications when processes exit or
hit other conditions.

Did the firewall fix your connectivity issues?