Think of it more abstractly, memcached isn't a "web tool".

If you're fetching the same thing over and over from the DB without it
changing inbetween, you can cache it. If you're applying complex templates
or sorting data, etc. Anywhere where blobs of data are reusable you can
get a win.

...but if your backend is fast enough and traffic low enough, it's easier
to skip caching altogether.