It's going to use some caps (opening files, mmap'ing them, shared memory,
etc). I don't know what maps to which specific thing.

That error looks like an omission on my part..

    mmap_fd = open(file, O_RDWR|O_CREAT, S_IRWXU);
    if (ftruncate(mmap_fd, limit) != 0) {
        perror("ftruncate failed");
        abort();
    }

missing the error check after open.

Try adding a:

if (mmap_fd == -1) {
  perror("failed to open file for mmap");
  abort();
}

between the open and if (ftruncate) lines, which will give you the real
error. I'll get that fixed upstream.