Sunil,

You'd think so but it's not quite true.

With home sellers, those who sell a few items:
Even eBay has limits to what they can charge before they chase off
customers. Plus there are other on-line auction sites that are just waiting
for eBay to stumble and some of these sites process a reasonable volume of
on-line auctions.

The fees that eBay charges may seem high but when you consider the market
exposure, the fees become very reasonable. That is unless you sell a $10.00
item on eBay that you can easily sell locally for $10.00. When pricing for
eBay sales, you need to factor in the additional cost & make sure that the
expanded market exposure will support the additional selling price. In other
words, that $10.00 item needs to sell on eBay for $12.00. If you have
something unique, collectable or not likely sold locally then you should do
well with eBay. Most sellers don't understand this & ask too little for an
item or they try & sell common items that really have no business on eBay.

With retail sellers:
In addition to what I stated above, retail sellers usually have their own
web store and possibly a retail location. With a business, it's more of a
cost verses gain calculation. In my case, I'd have to hire another Employee
to generate the sales that eBay generates. EBay marketing costs less!

By the way, we have 2 on-line stores, one on eBay & the other a on-line (non
eBay) store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Tom-Hargrave-Sales
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT
<http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=W>