Jaime-

THANKS so much! I had thought about this possibility, but still couldn't figure out if I could get a good angle on theose inner bolts/nuts. I appreciate the input!!!

I am going back out to work on her in about 30 minutes-may have another rain-free day here, which has been rare lately!

Of course, now I have to put back in the manifold bolts that I was able to get out before I realized I could NOT get to that last one up front (covered by the AC compressor!)

I have not looked at the scan yet, but will check on it, and I REALLY appreciate the info/advice!

Thanks, man!

Michael

Hi Michael,
You're in luck... I just did this last weekend! The trick is to remove the valve cover. Then you can access the two inside bolts per carb with a short 12mm open ended wrench. The out side ones are not bad to access... you might have to remove a few odds and ends, but not much. My car is a w108, but nearly the same setup as yours.

Last weekend I pulled off the carbs, then the exhaust, and finally the manifolds. Today I'll replace the starter, start rebuilding the head risers in the manifolds and reseal one of the carbs. Hopefully my new parts (including a stainless exhuast) will arrive for assembly next weekend.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way... I've done alot of work with these carbs. You might find this manual I scanned helpful as well:
http://www.jaimekop.com/CarbManual/

Good luck!
'84 300SD
'71 220D